Is circus safe?
Yes. At WCFT, safety is our highest priority.
Our instructors are trained to identify and minimize risks to our students. We maintain the highest standards for our equipment, and perform regular safety checks.
Who can participate?
We offer various circus classes for ages 6+. Please visit the class-specific page to see what age groups are accommodated. We also offer a Lil Top general circus class for ages 3-5.
Due to equipment safety factors, we have a weight limit of 250 pounds (110 kg).
If you have physical concerns, questions about your limitations, or any other conditions that you think may affect your ability to fly, please consult your physician. We also encourage you to speak with us before you book a class. We can be reached at 604-619-1212 or by email.
Do I have to be really strong in order to do circus?
While it certainly doesn’t hurt, you do not need to be strong or flexible to try flying trapeze, aerial arts, or acrobatics. We’d much prefer that you come with a great attitude and work ethic instead!
For aerial arts and ground acrobatics, we start with basic skills, and work at your pace to build strength and flexibility. As you improve, we’ll make the tricks harder!
For flying trapeze, if you can hang from a bar with straight arms, you have enough strength. We will teach you to use timing and the momentum of the swing, rather than strength. Listening and reacting to our instructors’ commands is the biggest factor for success.
What should I wear?
Please wear comfortable, form-fitting athletic clothes. Long hair must be tied back.
As circus equipment can be rough on bare skin, we suggest full-length or cropped pants (you’ll want to cover the backs of your knees). If you are doing aerial arts, you will also want long sleeves.
Please do not wear:
- Jewelry (stud earrings are okay)
- Clothing with zippers, buttons, snaps, rivets, or metal accessories. Please note that these can damage the aerial silks, and you will not be allowed on the equipment if you wear clothing with these features.
- Lotions. These can make the equipment slippery for you and other students. If you have put on moisturizer or sunscreen, please take a few minutes before class to wash it off any skin that will contact the equipment (ask your instructor if you aren’t sure).
- Eyeglasses (please wear contacts if possible)
Socks are optional.
Don’t forget your water bottle!
What is your cancellation policy?
You can cancel and reschedule for ANY reason up to 24 hours before a class (you have the flu, you’re getting hitched in Vegas, you’d rather stay home and watch Netflix, etc.). Under 24 hours means you forfeit the class, regardless of the reason (we absolutely care, we just have to pay for the space and our hard-working instructors). All payments for monthly memberships, punch cards, workshops, private lessons, and drop-ins are non-refundable.
Memberships and Punch Cards
Class cancellations paid for by membership or punch cards are covered under our Classes Cancellation Policy. All payments for monthly memberships, punch cards, workshops, private lessons, and drop-ins are non-refundable.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule a private party or group event for any reason, our cancellation policy is as follows:
- Up to 2 weeks prior to the party: full refund less a $15 administration/service fee.
- Less than 2 weeks but more than 48 hours prior to the party: 80% refund.
- Less than 48 hours prior to the party: non-refundable.