West Coast Flying Trapeze COVID-19 Safety Plan
(updated March 29, 2021)
Following the March 29, 2021 announcement from Dr. Bonnie Henry, we have updated our COVID-19 policies to stay in line with Fraser Health’s new public health orders. We are committed to doing everything we can to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Please make sure to read through this entire document, as we’ve added new protocols.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com
All classes have been changed to semi-private lessons with limited capacity.
A COVID-19 screening form must be completed within 24 hours of every lesson. We will also be conducting temperature checks prior to entering the school.
If you or anyone in your household are experiencing any of the following symptoms of COVID-19, we appreciate your support but respectfully request that you stay home and do not enter our facility.
- New or worsening cough
- Shortness of breath
- New muscle aches or headache
- Sore throat
- Loss of sense of smell or taste
- Have travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days
- Have been in close contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19
Entering the Facility
- Only students are permitted into the gym; no spectators are allowed in due to gym capacity limitations. Parents, please wait for your children outside. You are welcome to leave during class, and come back when it’s over. There is an exception for the LilTop, but we ask that maximum one guardian per child enters the gym.
- Please wait for the lesson in your car, or by lining up outside, keeping a distance of 3 meters from other students on the spots marked on the ground.
- Everyone will be entering through unit 105. Please make sure you have completed the COVID-19 screening form prior to arriving to class. If you answer “yes” to any of the screening questions, please do not enter the facility.
- When you arrive, please ring the doorbell with your elbow. Your instructor will open the door and permit entry to the facility a maximum of 15 minutes prior to the start of the lesson.
- Masks are required in all common areas of the school.
- All students will be temperature checked prior to entering the school.
- Everyone inside the facility must maintain a minimum of two metres apart at all times.
- Do not bring extra items to the gym—only the minimum equipment needed to participate in the lesson. Please leave jackets, bags, etc. in your car if possible. We have removed all of the cubbies and coat hooks for now. When you arrive, please grab a plastic bin and place all your belongings (including your shoes) in it. This bin will be kept with you during the lesson.
- Upon entry, please immediately wash or sanitize your hands. Hand sanitizer is available right next to the entry door, or on top of the fridge as you enter. There are additional hand sanitizing stations around the school. Alternatively, follow the arrows to the bathrooms, and wash your hands with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds. Please wait on the lines to maintain physical distancing for the bathroom to be free.
- Head to your workout area as directed by the instructor. Please keep your bin with you.
Semi-Private Lesson Procedures
- All lessons are either 55 minutes or 85 mins to give us extra time to clean equipment before the following lesson, and to allow for students to enter and exit the facility while maintaining proper social distance.
- Your water bottle and any personal items must stay in your bin and in your training area, so you are not walking back and forth throughout the gym. Ensure that you stay in this area unless otherwise directed by the instructor. Please note we will not be giving out cups to use for water, so make sure to bring your water bottle. If possible, please fill it up at home before you come. Otherwise, you can use tap water from our bathrooms.
- Follow directions of the instructors at all times and maintain a minimum of 2 metres (6 feet) separation from others. Please do your best not to touch surfaces and things around the gym other than your assigned equipment.
- Students training acrobatics or aerial may remove their masks when they are actively training, but they must remain either on their mat or in their tumbling lane or “training zone.” If you do not have a mask, we can provide you with a disposable one for $1.
- All flying trapeze flyers must now wear masks while they fly.
- If you do need to use the bathroom, please let your instructor know, and put on your mask as soon as you leave your designated training area.
- Lesson sizes have been limited:
- Aerial: 5 students
- Flying Trapeze: 5 students
- Handstands: 6 students
- Tumbling: 6 students
- Partner acro: 6 students (For partner acro classes, you must come with a partner from your household. There will be no partner swapping, and we will not assign partners.)
- There will be no spotting, unless a student is in danger. Instructors will wear masks at all times.
- At the end of each lesson, it will still be the students’ responsibility to wipe down the mats and any equipment they used. The coach will spray the mats and equipment, and then the student will wipe them down with paper towels. This is to limit the number of people that touch the spray bottle cleaner.
- After the lesson, please wash or sanitize your hands, and leave the facility. We have a limited window of time to clean everything between lessons, and want to keep the parking lot clear for the next group of students, so we appreciate your understanding!
Flying Trapeze Lessons
Flying trapeze lessons are for intermediate students only. Due to the fact that we must remain 3 meters physically distanced, we can not help students off of the platform. Students must be able to do an independent take off.
Our lessons will be limited to 5 students for one hour. You get the same number of turns as a two-hour class with 10 students, so the cost is the same.
All flying trapeze instructors and students must wear masks at all times, including while flying.
We will still have chalk available for everyone’s use; chalk is a desiccant and will not spread the virus. However, if you would feel more comfortable using your own, we will have chalk bags available for purchase.
We will not be lending out the school’s grips (palm guards) to students. We will have tape grips and leather grips available for purchase.
Our staff will be disinfecting the ladder, riser, belts, seating area, and trapeze bar between each lesson.
All aerial lessons will be limited to 5 students at a time.
Each student will be assigned their own piece of equipment, and they will only use that apparatus for the lesson.
Students may remove their masks once they reach their assigned mat. If they need to leave their mat for any reason, they must put their mask back on.
Please do not share rosin with other students or instructors. We have rosin available for purchase.
Exiting the Facility
- Everyone will exit the facility through the unit 105 exit.
- Remove all your belongings and leave your bin in the marked area. We will disinfect these before they go to the next person.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at the exit to use before you leave.
For sanitary reasons, we encourage you to buy and bring in your own equipment, such as silks, hoops, static trapeze bars, flying trapeze safety belts, handstand blocks, yoga blocks, rosin, and chalk.
We have handstand blocks, chalk, and rosin for sale at the school.
For any externally-sourced equipment, it must be purchased through one of the following companies and must be approved by Chris before it can be used.
Facility Cleaning Protocols
At the end of each business day, our gym is fully sanitized. We have purchased a fogger machine that is used daily to disinfect the facility with Vital Oxide: a hospital-grade disinfectant that is approved by Health Canada to kill COVID-19 (among several other viruses and bacteria strains). It is the safest disinfectant on the market, with an SDS rating of 0-0-0, no VOC’s, and no PPE required at any concentration. It is skin safe and not a skin sensitizer like alcohol-based hand sanitizers. It is also food safe and approved as a no-rinse-required product.
All surfaces will also be wiped down and floors cleaned with Vital Oxide. The sink and bathroom door handles will be cleaned between every class.