COVID-19 Update from WCFT
To our circus family,
We are thrilled to announce that we are running classes in person again! There will be a number of requirements and changes around the facility to make sure we are being safe and doing everything we can to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Please make sure to read through this entire document, outlining our protocols for reopening.
In-person classes began on Monday, June 1, 2020, and we will also continue to run online classes during this time as well.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at @ email@example.com
Entering the Facility
- Only students will be permitted into the gym; no spectators will be allowed in due to gym capacity limitations. Parents, please wait for your children outside. You are welcome to leave during class, and come back when it’s over.
- Please wait for the class in your car, or by lining up outside, keeping a distance of 2 metres from other students.
- Everyone will be entering through unit 104. There will be a COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire posted on the door. If you answer “yes” to any of the screening questions, please do not enter the facility. Your instructor will open the door and permit entry to the facility a maximum of 15 minutes prior to the start of class.
- Do not bring extra items to the gym—only the minimum equipment needed to participate in class. Please leave jackets, bags, etc. in your car if possible. We have removed all of the cubbies and coat hooks for now. When you arrive, please grab a Tupperware bin and place all your belongings (including your shoes) in it. This bin will be kept with you during the class.
- Upon entry, follow the arrows to the bathrooms. You must immediately wash your hands with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds.
- Head to your workout area as directed by the instructor. Please keep your bin with you.
- All classes have been changed to either 55 minutes (from 1 hour) or 85 mins (from 1.5 hours) to give us a little extra time to clean equipment before the following class, and to allow for students to enter and exit the facility while maintaining proper social distance.
- Your water bottle and any personal items must stay in your bin and in your training area, so you are not walking back and forth throughout the gym. Ensure that you stay in this area unless otherwise directed by the instructor. Please note we will not be giving out cups to use for water, so make sure to bring your water bottle. If possible, please fill it up at home before you come. Otherwise, you can use tap water from our bathrooms.
- Follow directions of the instructors at all times and maintain a minimum 2 metre (6 feet) separation from others. Please do your best not to touch surfaces and things around the gym other than your assigned equipment.
- If you do need to use the bathroom, please let your instructor know, and follow the arrows on the floor to and from the bathroom.
- Class sizes have been limited:
- Aerial: 4 students
- Flying Trapeze: 5 students
- Handstands: 6 students
- Tumbling: 6 students
- Partner acro: 6 students (For partner acro classes, you must come with a partner from your household. There will be no partner swapping, and we will not assign partners.)
- Spotting will happen minimally and instructors will be wearing a facemask when they do so. We encourage for the safety of our instructors that students wear a mask when being spotted.
- At the end of each class, it will still be the students’ responsibility to wipe down the mats and any equipment they used. The coach will spray the mats and equipment, and then the student will wipe them down with paper towels. This is to limit the number of people that touch the spray bottle cleaner.
- After class, please do not hang around chatting inside the gym. We have a limited window of time to clean everything between classes, so we appreciate your understanding!
Our classes will be limited to 5 students for one hour. You get the same number of turns as a two-hour class with 10 students, so the cost is the same.
Due to the close proximity, our board instructors will be wearing a face mask, and we encourage you to wear one as well, as long as you can safely fly in your mask. We will not be requiring our students to wear masks; we trust your judgment.
We will still have chalk available for everyone’s use; chalk is a desiccant and will not spread the virus. However, if you would feel more comfortable using your own, we will have chalk bags available for purchase.
We will not be lending out the school’s grips (palm guards) to students. We will have tape grips and leather grips available for purchase.
Our staff will be disinfecting the ladder, riser, belts, seating area, and trapeze bar between each class.
All aerial classes will be limited to 4 students at a time. Each student will be assigned their own piece of equipment, and they will only use that apparatus for the class. In full classes, instructors will not be using equipment, so that no one will have to share. This means that instructors will be relying on talking students through skills, rather than demonstrating. I’m sure we’ll all be rebuilding our aerial strength and endurance, so please use this opportunity to review and perfect your technique!
Please do not share rosin with other students or instructors. We have rosin available for purchase.
Exiting the Facility
- Everyone will exit the facility through the unit 105 exit.
- Remove all your belongings and leave your bin in the marked area. We will disinfect these before they go to the next person.
For sanitary reasons, we encourage you to buy and bring in your own equipment, such as silks, hoops, static trapeze bars, flying trapeze safety belts, handstand blocks, yoga blocks, rosin, and chalk.
We have handstand blocks, chalk, and rosin for sale at the school.
For any externally-sourced equipment, it must be purchased through one of the following companies and must be approved by Chris before it can be used.
Facility Cleaning Protocols
At the end of each business day, our gym is fully sanitized. We have purchased a fogger machine that is used daily to disinfect the facility with Vital Oxide: a hospital-grade disinfectant that is approved by Health Canada to kill COVID-19 (among several other viruses and bacteria strains). It is the safest disinfectant on the market, with an SDS rating of 0-0-0, no VOC’s, and no PPE required at any concentration. It is skin safe and not a skin sensitizer like alcohol-based hand sanitizers. It is also food safe and approved as a no-rinse-required product.
All surfaces will also be wiped down and floors cleaned with Vital Oxide. The sink and bathroom door handles will be cleaned between every class.
Our regular cancellation policy will be in effect (you may cancel up to 24 hours before the class for any reason). If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, please do not come to the gym. Though we sympathize with everyone’s situation, please note we will not be offering any refunds or class credits for classes cancelled within 24 hours, for any reason. This has been an incredibly difficult time for small businesses, and we still have many fixed expenses to cover such as rent, insurance, heating, etc. We greatly appreciate your support and understanding.
Click here for more information on our current open studio training policies.
While we love our circus mascots, and enjoy being a pet-friendly space, during this time we will not be allowing any pets to visit the gym. If Russell and Tali are at the school, they will be kept in the staff room; we know they miss your cuddles but please do not touch them if you see us bringing them in or out.
Stay safe and be kind.
Chris and Kimmie